Year Established: 1990
2016 Membership: 40 active and life / 18 associate and honorary
Regular Meetings: Third Wednesday of the month (September to June) / Coffee every Wednesday mornings at 10:00 am at High Country Inn
Communications: Division website
Hank Moorlag, Secretary
Tradition and Heritage Events
- We participated in the organization of the 50th Anniversary of the Carmacks air crash commemoration ceremony which was attended by the families of our four fallen members. This was a very well received memorial at a time when many of the family members felt real closure and reconnection.
- Another event to ‘remember the past’ is planned for May 2016 at Wrangell, Alaska, with the placement of a permanent marker at the grave of NWMP members who drowned at the mouth of the Stikine River in 1902. It is anticipated that family members of those lost will be attending. This is the kind of event that provides real meaning and purpose for the RCMPVA.
- Another ‘remember the past’ event recognized 50 years of service to the north and the RCMP of the De Havilland Twin Otter aircraft. The event was played out in communities across the North and included Yukon. RCMPVA members attended and assistance was provided by our President to help organize the event. We accepted a large framed print depicting the tour, which now hangs in the former home of Twin Otter, CF-MPL.
- We annually support one of the three extended care facilities with a cash donation of $500 to provide residents with funding for items for their general enjoyment.
- Yukon Division has actively supported the Yukon Government’s program of spring roadside litter pickup to help maintain the pristine environment we value. This activity also helps raise funds.
Sick and shut-in visits
Visitations to veterans and members, and get-well offerings.
- Remembrance Day and police/peace officer memorial services with ‘M’ Division
- RCMP medal ceremonies and Canada Day events
- Division advocacy; Updates on veteran issues and benefits, such as estate planning insurance, etc.
- Annual gravesite inspections
- Our Annual Christmas Dinner is open to RCMPVA members, guests, and friends of the Force. We have 50-75 attendees and it is very well received.
- Annual Summer BBQ.
- The RCMPVA is represented by our Division President on the Board of Directors of the Yukon Community Crime Stoppers Association and many members are active in community groups, e.g. the Royal Canadian Legion, the Pioneer Cemetery revitalization and the Vimy Independent Living Housing Plan.
- Updating members on RCMP issues, National Website news & information.
- Sharing events and information with Yukon Division members through our blog.