Year Established: 1913
2021 Membership: 101 active / 5 life / 1 associate and honorary
Regular Meetings with Lunch: third Thursday of the month (except Dec, Jun, Jul and Aug) at the Howard Johnson Hotel, 4670 Elk Lake Dr. beginning at 1100.
Monday morning coffee: on the first and third Monday of the month at 1000 in the Food Court at Hillside Shopping Ctr.
Wednesday morning coffee: 0830 in the Restaurant at Quality Foods, 977 Langford Parkway, Langford.
Communications: Monthly division newsletter, Victoria Vets Views
Mike Byrne – Membership and A/Communications Director
RCMP Veterans’ Association
Victoria Division Office
2881 Nanaimo Street
Victoria, BC V8T 4Z8
Tradition and Heritage Events
- RCMP Veterans Victoria Division Bursary: The bursary was established as the Thomas Inkpen Memorial Bursary in 2004 by the Camosun College Foundation, Victoria BC with initial funding provided by Victoria Division and the estate of retired Sgt. Thomas Inkpen. The name of the bursary was changed to the RCMP Veterans Victoria Division Bursary in 2014 and has continued to grow with donations provided by members of our Division. The purpose of the bursary is to provide funds in the amount of $500.00 to any full time deserving student of Camosun College, with preference given to, firstly, a descendant of an RCMP Veteran in good standing with the RCMP Veterans’ Association; secondly, to a descendant of a current or former member of the RCMP.
- Victoria Division Veteran of the Year Award: Any member in good standing with Victoria Division may be nominated for this award. Outstanding and worthy accomplishments based upon merit include service for the good of the community and/or the Division/National Association, its members and the wider community, both locally, provincially, nationally and internationally. Final selection is made by a three member panel of RCMP veterans.
- HONOUR – SERVICE – RESPECT – RCMP Service Awards Program: The Victoria RCMP Veterans Association hosts a presentation and luncheon to honour and recognize three (3) RCMP employees from our area annually for their outstanding contributions to police work and/or public service and/or community service. Personnel from the following communities serviced by the Force: Westshore, Sidney, Salt Spring/Outer Gulf Islands and Sooke Detachments, and from the Island District Headquarters in Victoria may be nominated. All personnel, regardless of position, role or rank, including public servants and detachment volunteers are eligible. The awards are presented each year in May at a special luncheon held in their honour.
Sick and shut-in visits
Visitations to veterans and members, and get-well offerings.
- Remembrance Day and police/peace officer memorial services
- Royal Canadian Legion Annual Poppy Campaign
Division advocacy; Updates on veteran issues and benefits, such as estate planning insurance, etc.
- Weekly Coffee Gatherings.
- Wives’ Monthly Luncheons
- An annual Christmas Reception and Spring BBQ are held with the dates, times and locations to be announced
- Guest speakers on member-interest issues
- Victoria Division conducts annual fundraising events with the proceeds donated to the bursary fund
- Need-A-Ride Program – for members that need a lift to the meetings we have a roster of volunteer drivers
- Standing invitation to visiting Veterans from Central Vancouver Island and Lower Mainland Divisions