Year Established: 1978 – previously a sub-division of Vancouver Division – encompassed the geographic area extending from Shuswap Lake to the US border.
1997 – Shuswap Division formed encompassing the geographic area from Grindrod north.
1998 – Penticton Division (now South Okanagan) formed encompassing that area south of Peachland.
2018 Membership: A total of 203 members, with 182 active members.
Meetings: Executive meetings – held the second Thursday of each month at Kelowna RCMP Detachment.
Division Annual General Meeting – held in November to elect the new Executive for the coming year, and appoint the division auditor. All members are welcome and encouraged to join us at these meetings.
Social Gatherings: Except June to August, we meet for a social luncheon with guest speakers the second Saturday of each month alternating between Vernon and Kelowna.
Coffee Klatches: A Coffee Klatch is held in Vernon at the Schubert Centre, the last Monday of each month at 10:00. Everyone welcome. Kelowna retired members meet at Perkins Restaurant (Ramada Inn) in Kelowna weekdays at 10:00. Everyone welcome.
Inter-Divisional Luncheons: The three Okanagan Divisions and Kamloops Division have held inter-divisional socials once a year alternating between the Divisions. Frequent exchanges occur with South Okanagan Division including BBQ’s, potlucks, tours and other social activities.
Communications: Division newsletter and emails
Tradition and Heritage Events
- We award an annual $1000.00 Scholarship/Bursary Award for Education Assistance at recognized University or College Programs to a child or grandchild of an Okanagan member in good standing.
- We support the local RCMP ‘Cops for Kids“ program by participating at fund raising events such as ‘manning’ the BBQ at the annual slow pitch softball tournament and selling contest novelty items prior to Western Hockey League pre-season games. A $1000.00 donation is made annually to this worthwhile cause.
- The Division holds an annual Memorial Service to honour our deceased members with a solemn program with the immediate family, a Book of Memoriam, a Table of Honour and a Wreath laying accompanied by a piper playing the lament.
Sick and shut-in visits
Visitations to veterans and members, and get-well offerings.
- Remembrance Day and police/peace Officer memorial services.
- Bi-Annual Veterans’ Award to deserving serving members of local Detachments within our Division, who best reflect the Mission, Vision and Values of the R.C.M.P.
Division advocacy; Updates on veteran issues and benefits, such as estate planning insurance, etc.
- Annual Christmas Dinner (widows are our guests)
- Sell/auction RCMP memorabilia at the Kelowna Detachment and the South East District Office in Kelowna.
- Guest Presentations on topics related to the Good of the Association
- The Division has hosted three (3) AGMs: 2007 (Kelowna); 1996 (Penticton); and 1987 (Kelowna), and co/sponsored with Mission Lions Club the RCMP Musical Ride (2001) in Kelowna.