2016 Membership: 73 active and life / 2 associate and honorary
Regular Meetings: Third Saturday of each month
Communications: Monthly division newsletter
The Division is fortunate to be in an area with the most liveable climate in Canada. We have membership from seven cities, towns and villages and a rural area that has mining, ranching, wineries, orchards, logging and tourism and sporting venues. There is no limit to individuals following their interest in all four season’s sports, arts or whatever. South Okanagan Division’s greatest asset is our membership and to inspire new membership we emphasize to prospective members what they might gain from new friendships and association with the people we are looking to include in our division. We attempt to make the whole year an event with each meeting being part of the sum of the whole. In other words the year is our ‘event’. We have easy access by air with Vancouver and Calgary. We have first class medical locally and for major medical facilities only 45 miles away in Kelowna or less than an hour’s flight to Vancouver. Our regular Force, RCMP vets, RCMP Auxiliaries, Spouses and associate members all contribute to our success.
Tradition and heritage events
- The Division actively participates in and donates money to the Cops for Kids charity and a team is entered in the charities fund raising slow pitch tournament.
- The Division donated $10,000.00 to the South Okanagan Medical Foundation toward purchase of equipment for new hospital tower.
- The Division has a Memorial Book and an October Service is held each year to honour those that have served in the area detachments.
Sick and shut-in visits
Visitations to veterans and members, and get-well offerings.
- Remembrance Day services
- Police/peace officer memorial services in our communities
- Division advocacy; Updates on veteran issues and benefits, such as estate planning insurance, etc.
- Annual gravesite inspections
- Monthly meetings spread between Penticton, Summerland and Osoyoos
- Christmas Party/induction of officers, Summer BBQ and Pot Luck; Tea for women and spouses
- Speakers are brought in from every strata of political, social scientific or interest to keep our meetings interesting
- Hosted a ‘4’ Division Social (with Kamloops-Shuswap-Okanagan) which will become a regular event with each Division taking turn as the host
- Division supports South Okanagan Food Banks each year