Year Established: 1978
2016 Membership: 190 active and life / 10 associate and honorary
Regular Meetings: First Saturday of the month (September to May) alternating in Vernon and Kelowna / Coffee first Monday of the month at Schubert Centre
Communications: Division newsletter
The division holds two annual general meetings a year; one in May, and the second in November to elect the new executive for the coming year. All other months, except June to August, we meet for a social luncheon alternating between Vernon, BC and Kelowna. We attempt each year to hold a sporting or picnic event in June. Okanagan is sandwiched between two divisions: Shuswap division in the North Okanagan/Shuswap area, and South Okanagan division covering Penticton and area. The three divisions have held inter-divisional socials, alternating between the areas mentioned. Kamloops division has offered to host the next inter-divisional luncheon, so now we have four divisions participating.
Tradition and heritage events
- We award an annual $1000.00 Scholarship/Bursary Award for Education Assistance at recognized University or College Programs to a child or grandchild of an Okanagan member in good standing.
- We support the local RCMP ‘Cops for Kids“ program by participating at fund raising events such as ‘manning’ the BBQ at the annual slow pitch softball tournament and selling contest novelty items prior to Western Hockey League pre-season games. A $1000.00 donation is made annually to this worthwhile cause.
- The Division holds an annual Memorial Service to honour our deceased members with a solemn program with the immediate family, a Book of Memoriam, a Table of Honour and a Wreath laying accompanied by a piper playing the lament.
Sick and shut-in visits
Visitations to veterans and members, and get-well offerings.
Remembrance Day and police/peace officer memorial services.
- Division advocacy; Updates on veteran issues and benefits, such as estate planning insurance, etc.
- Annual gravesite inspections
- Annual Christmas Dinner (widows are our guests)
- Sell RCMP memorabilia at special events
- Guest Presentations on topics related to the Good of the Association
- The Division has hosted three (3) AGMs: 2007 (Kelowna); 1996 (Penticton); and 1987 (Kelowna), and co/sponsored with Mission Lions Club the RCMP Musical Ride (2001) in Kelowna