Year Established: 1886
2016 Membership: 259 active and life / 172 associate and honorary
Regular Meetings: Executive meets second Tuesday of the month (September to June); General meetings held January, April and September / Coffee in South Calgary on Fridays; North Calgary on Wednesdays; Weekly in other districts, including High River, Cochrane and Airdrie
Communications: Division newsletter (issued three times per year) and website
The first recorded meeting of the NWMP (North-West Mounted Police) ex-members took place in Calgary on April 16th, 1886, at the town hall with twenty-four ex-members attending. The first recorded dinner of ex-members took place at the Royal Hotel, Calgary, on November 4th, 1886. After some setbacks, the NWMP Veterans’ Association, as it was known then, began to grow and spread to other cities. In 1954 the association name was changed to the RCMP Veterans’ Association. Calgary was the association headquarters for many years until 1965 when it was moved to Ottawa, the headquarters of the Force. Our general commitment to the community, the RCMP and the RCMP Veterans is through the Fort Calgary Historical Site and Museum, which is our home base. We provide educational and social events for our members, the RCMP and the general public.
Tradition and heritage events
- Fort Calgary Heritage Site special events: Mountie Day; Canada Day; Alberta Heritage Day; Labour Day; Members daily attendance at the site from Victoria Day to Labour Day; Children and youth educational programs
- Stampede Parade and attendance at Morley Detachment Historical Site, first two weeks of July; Happy Birthday Alberta celebration, September 1
Sick and shut-in visits
Visits to veterans/members and get-well offerings. Hospital Parking Passes supplied by Canadian Legion. Monetary assistance to widows and veterans.
- Remembrance Day: attendance at Jubilee Auditorium, Fort Calgary, Central Park Memorial, Museum of the Regiments and surrounding communities. Field of Crosses Memorial Project, November 10
- Police/peace officer memorial services
- RCMP Medal Ceremonies, Fort Calgary May and October, including a dinner celebration for RCMP and veterans
- Division advocacy; Updates on veteran issues and benefits, such as estate planning insurance, etc.
- Educational programs aimed at mental health
- Annual gravesite inspections
- Widows and Life Members luncheons
- RCMP Veterans and ex-members luncheons (twice per year)
- Annual golf tournament
- Annual Calgary/Lethbridge divisions golf tournament
- Annual lobster and corn boil
- Christmas social and dinner