On June 2, 1947, Edward Carroll (#9154), chair of a working committee to organize a Division of the R Royal Northwest Mounted Police (NWMP) Veterans’ Association for the Ottawa area, wrote to #4870, James Oliver Fripps, the Association’s President and asked for assistance in forming a Division, as 130 ex-members lived in the Ottawa area.
A month later, on July 16, 1947, 37 ex-members attended the first meeting of the newly formed “C” Division. Edward Carroll was in the chair, becoming the first president of the division. They held the meeting in the Band Room of the Justice Building Annex.
John Kidd (#9221) moved and Samuel Cookson (#3434) seconded a motion to thank “A” Division for its $50 donation toward the start of “C” Division. The motion was carried. The members set dues at $2 per month for the remainder of 1947.
The minutes of the meeting concluded with the statement, “Due to a number of men having to report for duty with the Corps
of Commissionaires and the weather being so hot, our meeting closed”.