Year Established: 1997
2016 Membership: 75 active and life / 18 associate and honorary
Regular Meetings: September to June, dependent upon planned social activities / Coffee first Tuesday of the month at Spinakers Café in Blind Bay
Communications: Electronic news bulletin and newsletter
Shuswap Division is located in the centre of a large area that is primarily a retirement and tourist destination. The Division is designed to be Fraternal. Our primary objective is to ensure the well-being of the retired RCMP Members, their spouses / widows and families. Our Charter designates Salmon Arm, British Columbia as our location but our meetings and social events are held in various locations within the area. We do not have a formal recruitment campaign, however most of our membership report first being attracted to the Division by word of mouth from existing members, and then experiencing the informal and congenial atmosphere of our social and business agendas. We will celebrate 20 years as a Division in 2017.
Tradition and heritage events
We have an excellent Chaplin who is greatly respected and admired by all of our Members and is widely known within the local community. The Chaplin’s knowledge and communication skills combined with the collective wisdom and experience of our Members (who come from all ranks within the RCMP and other Canadian Police Forces) provides reliable and consistent advocacy for our Division Members and their families as well as for the other former RCMP members in the area.
Sick and shut-in visits
Visitations to veterans and members, and get-well offerings.
Remembrance Day and police/peace officer memorial services in three communities.
- Division advocacy; Updates on veteran issues and benefits, such as estate planning insurance, etc.
- Widow’s assistance program
- Annual gravesite inspections
- Organized ”Koffee Klatches“ in Salmon Arm, Vernon and Blind Bay
- Inter-Divisional Meetings and Golf Tournament (with Okanagan, South Okanagan & Kamloops Divisions). Guest Speakers / Special Guests at Division Functions
- Scheduled tours of Business Enterprises or Community Services Centres
- Annual Christmas Celebration for Members and Guests. Bi-annual Games Night for Members and Guests. Annual Valentine’s Day Luncheon for Spouses /Members and Guests
- Liaison with Community Service Groups (Royal Canadian Legion, Lions Club, Rotary Club, Volunteer Fire Departments and Church Groups). Liaison with Local Government Groups (Regional Districts CSRD & TNRD and Village Councils). Visits & musical entertainment for Senior’s Care Facilities